Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Slow Times

It was Easter this past weekend, which means that Passion season has just ended, which means that my oboe-playing career is no longer in overdrive, which means that my suspenders-making hobby is about to resume.  In all honesty, suspenders-making didn't ever stop, but it did slow down to a trickle.  For instance, I've had this sitting on my desk for about two weeks:



These are all my bits of leather - enough for four sets of suspenders - that I've recently dyed.  I put the final finishing layer on tonight - the layer that gives the leather a slight shine and locks the dye in so that it doesn't rub off on your clothes - so tomorrow, I can finally start sewing suspenders together again.  I'm looking forward to finally having some new additions to my Etsy shop.  


Here's something else I have going on:


This is a 34" long strap made of . . .  corduroy!  Thick, grey corduroy.  I have another one just like it lying around somewhere.  I found a sheet of such corduroy in a bin in Sarah's parents' basement.  I'm going to use some of the brown leather that you see above and sew the two straps together and have some great corduroy suspenders.  I have enough for a second pair also, which is good, since I don't think I'll be able to part with the first ones. (I'm tempted to make some sort of mistake so that I can't justify selling them - only the best for my customers!)  In fact, I bet I'll finish them tomorrow night.  I'll get back to you soon, and let you know how it goes.  Maybe I'll even write about music then too!


No comments:

Post a Comment