Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Perfect Example

You've probably noticed that there haven't been many additions to this blog lately. Actually, come to think of it, you probably haven't, since why would you be paying attention to a blog that isn't updated? And that's a perfect example of why.

Now, if you're like me, you're now asking this: What is that "that" referring to?

Well, it's referring to the second sentence of this post. You see, I couldn't add any new posts to the blog because of a little problem that I may or may not have:
        I don't believe there's such a thing as perfection, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Now anyone who's worked with me musically is probably scratching their heads now. "Graham the perfectionist? Who's that?" they're asking. But that's just because there are different types of perfection in music, and some is perfection of creativity and some is perfection of execution and some is perfection of other stuff. Unfortunately, in a rehearsal, the more you address perfection of execution, the more you lose the perfection of creativity, or at least, its corollary, perfection of originality . . . and vice versa. So it's a balance, eh? Of course, ask me how the concert went, and - well: actually, I'll probably say it went great! But if you search deep inside and find out what I mean by "great", though, I'm sure you'd see my, just like anyone's, thoughts on how things could have gone better. I'm just one of those people who has those thoughts, but, as a courtesy to others, as well as to my own soul, I store them somewhere special, only to be retrieved in the proper settings (like when I want to do some Learning). But sometimes, their aura is still apparent, I guess.

Whoa! I'm way off track. All I meant to say is that this is my new plan. Or rather, that is my new plan. This time, the "that" refers to the above paragraph, or rather, to one of its qualities. I'm talking about free train-of-thought stuff, or whatever it's called. This is similar to that thing that was referenced in that original mention of "that". I say one thing, and then I comment on it. That's annoying. Let's get to the Profound Thoughts, which, I'm sure is the only reason anyone would read anything that I write. So, yeah, let's get to the Profound Thoughts, not the comments on the journey to the Profound Thoughts, which, actually, may not be so profound after all.

Does this mean my new idea is that my blog is about a journey? Originally, I would write, then edit, and edit, and think about how a proper blog must have pictures and links and stuff to make it interesting and then figure out how that's supposed to happen, and then edit, and then rewrite and then decide to post. And then realize that I can never post again since that previous post wasn't that good after all and after all that work it should have been better so why bother at all? Hey: that's a downer. Stop that! First of all: you'll get better the more you do this, so keep it up. Second of all: I don't remember.

Moral: I will try to post more often, but it may not always be the good stuff. In fact, my new plan isn't to edit much at all. Train of thought. Like this one. That means: grammar mistakes. Verbs the wrong tense, misplaced whatevers. Typos. Oh dear. Later, once I get the ball rolling, I plan on addressing these issues so that future entries will be better. (So, for those millions of you who have been reading this blog reverse-chronologically, you now see the real reason the the style got errors the more you read: not because I was learning new rules of writing, but because I was becoming better at following those rules On The Fly.) But they can't get better if they don't exist, so let's go.

real moral: writing's hard, but gets easier with practice.

search-for-truth moral: writing's fun?

secret moral: journeys are their own reward

meta-moral: maybe "moral" isn't the right word (Graham, the word you want is "conclusion". Aha, too late. train of thought wins again!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment